Stanislav Kogiku/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images
Let's get started.
1. Apple plans to scan your iPhone for child sexual abuse images. Software that could detect the images would then pass them on to law enforcement, leaving security experts worried about the opportunity for more widespread surveillance. Everything we know so far.
2. Amazon will reportedly delay a return to the office until January 2022. Spurred by COVID-19 concerns, the company's delayed opening follows similar plans by Uber and Microsoft. More on the company's hesitancy to reopen.
3. Employees reveal how Grubhub dominated food delivery, then nearly lost it all to Uber Eats and DoorDash. Despite leading food delivery for years, employees say its sluggish adoption of technology and failure to adapt to a changing industry caused it to stumble. Take an inside look at Grubhub's sudden plunge.
4. It's a really bad time to buy a new iPhone. Thinking of updating your device? Our review team suggests waiting at least until September, when the iPhone 13 is released. Here are their reasons for holding off.
5. Investors in troubled car-leasing startup Fair Financial are exploring legal options against SoftBank. They allege SoftBank drove the company into the ground so it could gain full control through bankruptcy. Read more about the battle over the startup that was once valued at over $1 billion.
6. Bill Gates made his first public appearance since his divorce from Melinda French Gates was finalized. In an interview with CNN, Gates said he and French Gates would try to continue working together. He also said he regrets his relationship with Jeffrey Epstein, calling it a “huge mistake.”
7. Uber won't require drivers to be vaccinated. Employees at the company's US offices are required to get vaccines before returning to work, but drivers, who make up a far larger group, are not required to get vaccinated. Here's why.
8. A $3,000 robot could replace the need for rideshares and public scooters. The robot, shown in a viral TikTok, is designed to carry things for its owners, and could completely change the transportation and disability-service space. Meet the robot (named Gita) here.
9. Europe's fastest-growing startup of all time, Hopin, has raised its fifth funding round in two years. The digital events startup, founded in June 2019, has raised a fresh $450 million at a valuation of $7.75 billion. Get the full rundown here.
10. AWS has been accused of poaching cloud deals. Amazon's relationship with cloud partners like Snowflake and 2nd Watch is getting so tense that the internet giant launched an investigation into allegations of AWS salespeople snooping on partner's client data. Read more in our exclusive report.
Sign up for more Insider newsletters here.
Read the original article on Business Insider